Sunday 24th January | Jonah and the Whale
The adults have been learning all about the life of Jonah this month, so this week we have a great story and song all about his life for kids. There’s a fun craft you may want to try too!
Game - Hide & Seek
Tell the children that today’s story is about someone who thought he could run and hide from God.
Jonah and the Big Fish (Saddleback Kids)
- Where did God tell Jonah to go? (Nineveh)
- Why did Jonah run away from God? (He didn’t want to go to Nineveh because they were Israel’s enemies)
- What city was Jonah sailing to? (Tarshish)
- How did others suffer because of Jonah’s disobedience? (The storm was causing the ship to break apart and the sailors were afraid)
- What was Jonah doing while all the sailors were praying to their gods? (Sleeping)
- How did the sea become calm? (Sailors threw Jonah overboard)
- What did God provide for Jonah? (A great fish)
Talk about what it means to obey/be obedient. Talk about some examples of people we have to obey. Is it an easy or a hard thing to do? Is there a time you have found it difficult to obey or have chosen not to obey? Why does God want us to obey Him? Talk about how it is because He loves us so much, so we know when He asks us to do something it’s for our good and that we can trust Him. Spend some time praying and asking God to help us to hear His voice and do as He says.